Located in the vast building of the former water deposits of Manresa, this museum offers three permanent exhibitions showing the importance of the irrigation system promoting the development of agriculture, industry, and the industry of ribbon-making with its long history in the city.
The Museum hosts three permanent exhibitions:
“The canal and water”: With a historic perspective, it shows the importance of the canal in the agricultural, industrial and urban developments in Bages from the fourteenth century.
“Ribbon-making”: dedicated to the textiles in Manresa, to the fabric extracted, from silk to the modern twenty-first-century ribbons. An industry closely tied to the city. There is a large collection of working looms.
“Manresa (1814-1931), the era of industrialisation”: A journey through time to retrace the path from the traditional city to the modern city through the world of economy, politics, popular traditions and leisure.
The former deposits of Manresa, which collected and stored the water from the Canal, are now the home to the Museum of Technology of Manresa. They were built between 1861 and 1865 to ensure a water reserve for when the Canal was cut off, to then connect it to the water distribution network of the city.
Until 1980 they supplied water to the lower parts of the city. In 1991 the building was restored on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of Caixa Manresa. The Museum was founded in 1993 on the initiative of the municipal company Aigües de Manresa SA, Manresa Town Council and the Museum of Science and Technology of Catalonia, with the collaboration of the Gremi de Cintaires de Catalunya.